Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Deep HeArtfelt Gratitude


Tres Lindas
Originally uploaded by Julee Herrmann

This is the time of year that we traipse out the “What I'm thankful for today...” conversations in person and on the web. I've seen a few threads about this on blogs, etsy forums, and in emails from my favorite “forwarders”.

Here in the Herrmann house we have a ritual of working on gratitude on a daily basis. We talk about the best parts of our day, what we've learned and how we've been touched, formed and molded by those around us. We all have journals for writing and drawing about our experiences, we make artwork that depicts our feelings and have lots of words for what we think we're going through. Sometimes it takes time and perspective to really see how we're affected and to realize the tiny shifts in the Universe that cause us to catapult into a new direction.

I realize that when Lexee turned 1 her aunt was supposed to make her a scrapbook, but instead of doing it she dumped it on me the day of her birthday party. 4 and a half years later I recognize that there is this whole winding road of creations for which that event is a small bend that steered me in my current direction. At the time I didn't see it as an opportunity for growth, but that's totally what it was.

At the time I saw it as one more way in which people cannot be relied upon. While I wouldn't leave an important detail to that person again I am learning to accept that people do what they can and that sometimes I have to grow to fill an area I didn't realize I was going to move into.

Today I am thankful that the Universe is perfect and that I am open to my lessons.

I am also thankful for my family, my friends, and the people who visit me here on my blog... to all of you my deepest blessings for a beautiful Winter filled with cozy moments.

Xoxo
jul

2 comments:

  1. hi jul!
    thank you so much for your nice comment today. it is so nice to meet you!
    what a wonderful blog you have created!
    happy thanksgiving!
    :) melissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post, Jul. The message is truly instructive, and you have a way of writing that is genuine and wonderful. You gave me pause to think. You're totally right....when others drop the ball, it can be an opportunity for our own growth and point us in a new, perhaps unexpected, direction. Kind of like a blessing in disguise. What a wonderful observation you imparted to all of us. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Oooooh BLoGgEE love!
xoxo
jul